World Suicide Prevention Day is September 10.
National Suicide Prevention Week is
Sunday, September 5 - Saturday, September 11.
Suicide Prevention Month is all month.
Take a look at a plethora of prevention resources you could use to promote awareness and grab one!
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: AFSP School and Community Programs
- National Alliance on Mental Illness: NAMI Suicide Prevention Awareness Month Resources
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: #BeThe1To #BeThe1To
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center: SPRC Suicide Prevention Month - Ideas for Action 2021.
Then, take action using a resource that catches your attention.
- Give a presentation for your school, work, or community.
- Make a poster.
- Share your activities on social media.
- Save lives.
A Culture of Caring: A Suicide Prevention Guide for Schools (K-12) was created as a resource for educators who want to know how to get started and what steps to take to create a suicide prevention plan that will work for their schools and districts. It is written from my perspective as a school principal and survivor of suicide loss, not an expert in psychology or counseling. I hope that any teacher, school counselor, psychologist, principal, or district administrator can pick up this book, flip to a chapter, and easily find helpful answers to the questions they are likely to have about what schools can do to prevent suicide.